"The world is a book,

and those who do not travel
read only one page."
-St. Augustine

Monday, September 17, 2012

In Italy Finally!

The Alps. It is a cool experience to see when the ground
is so high, the clouds run into it.
I am in Italy finally! This is Day 2 for me! I left Chicago at 5:35 pm on Saturday and arrived in Dusseldorf Germany on Sunday morning about 8:45 am (1:45 am in Illinois). I had a two hour layover and then got on a bus to take me to my plane to Catania. After a twenty minute delay due to air traffic control, I started my two hour flight to Catania. We passed over the Alps (right) on the flight. All of my flights were on Lufthansa.





When I got to Catania, I found my host family and we went to their house. Italian drivers are crazy! When we got there, they showed me my room and let me have a few hours to myself. I unpacked and took a nap because I was exhausted! Then we went to the supermarket which happened to be inside the mall. It was like Aldi where you have to put in money to get a shopping cart and then you have to buy bags at checkout. It was a very interesting first Italian experience. They have a lot of the same foods we do (Just with different names). They have Coke and Pepsi here. We didn't buy any, but I did see some Diet Coke (called "Coca-Cola light" here)! After shopping, we went back home. We unloaded the groceries and then went upstairs where my host grandma's apartment is and had dinner with her and my host cousins because it was her birthday. I would tell you what I ate if I had any idea! After dinner we went back downstairs and I took a shower (which was really difficult because I am used to very hot water and good water pressure). Then, I went to sleep. 

I woke up at 12:30 today (Jet-Lag sucks) and found Ele (my host sister) and she sat with me while I ate breakfast (Muffin and a glass of water). Then, we played Wii Sports which she kicked my butt in even though I have played that like one hundred times! Then my host brother Vincenzo came home from school (He started school today) and we ate lunch (leftovers from whatever we ate the night before). While we ate lunch, they had Jersey Shore with Italian subtitles on on the television which was weird for me since I didn't watch it in America either. Then Ele downloaded CamWow on my ipod and decided we needed to have a photoshoot (She is in awe that my eyes are so blue) so we did that for a while until I got tired and took a nap from 330-430. Then Ele had some friends over (one girl named Marcella, and 3 boys whose names I don't know) and they were over for a few hours. They all talked to each other and I sat and stared because I don't know any Italian besides the colors and how to introduce myself. Then they left, and it was time for dinner. I know we ate a block of mozzarella and some other type of formaggio (cheese) and something else that contained tomato, onion, and mozzarella. For dessert we had sliced up melon which was fruity and tasty. Then we watched some sketch comedy show that I think is called "Colorado." Then everyone went to bed so I started typing this. They don't have wifi here so it is difficult to get service all the time. I start school sometime this week, and maybe then I will have something more interesting to say! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment